According to the Disabilities Act of 1990 individuals in the United States with disabilities can enjoy the same employment opportunities as people without disabilities. In America’s workforce, free of discrimination, a qualified individual with a disability has a right to work.
In Florida there are many resources where the disable can get assistance with finding a job. Below you will find a list of online resources:
- For information about different job openings or employment related resources, disabled people can contact the Employ Florida site which is a network of workforce services.
- Ask EARN (Employer Assistance & Recruiting Network) site have a database of jobs open to those with disabilities.
- Non-profit public/private partnership ‘The Able Trust’ will help Floridians with disabilities in finding employment.
- The Chamber of Commerce for Persons with Disabilities, Inc. caregivers to form and grow a business.
Those with disabilities have rights and resources available to them to aid in gaining employment. Know your rights and use these services available to you:
- Access to publicly funded benefits and services.
- Accessibility to the blind
- Vocational rehabilitation services.
- Civic participation and voting rights.
- In the most exclusive environment access to appropriate and free public education.
- Access to transportation, business, post-secondary education, technology and other public and private programs.
- Access to home and community based services.
Some of the goals and objectives in the year 2014 for the disabled people in Florida are as listed below:
- There should not be any kind of abuse or neglect to such individuals, and to people who suffer from any kind of disability.
- Any kind of financial abuse to disabled people and to promote economic self-sufficiency.
- Each and every individual should get full and equal enjoyment of rights.
- Disabled people should get access to any kind of programs, recreation and transportation.
- The students with disabilities should be eligible for all kinds of educational opportunities.
- They should have the opportunity for fully integrated employment.
- One of the most important goals is to increase public awareness about Disability Rights.